Are you a practicing Indigenous artist; First Nations, Metis, or Inuit?
Are you actively engaged in your personal and professional development?
Are you willing to volunteer 8 hours per month?
Skwachays Lodge Artists in Residence Program would like to hear from you!
Applications must show evidence of the individual’s dedication to their artistic craft and must include a detailed 3 year plan that highlights personal and professional development goals to be considered for this unique housing program.
In order to be considered for tenancy, all applicants must provide the following items:
- Professional Bio & Artistic Statement
- Artistic Resume / CV. Max 2 pages.
- 3 Year Personal & Professional Development Plan *** Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 SMART Goals
- Letter of Recommendation From Peer or Colleague in Your Artistic Discipline
- Expression of Interest – Max 250 words describing why you would like to live at Skwachays.
- Proof of Income
- Artistic Portfolio *** Do not submit originals. Links to online portfolio preferred. Visual artists: submit 6 images of recent work. Video/Film Artists: submit up to 10 minutes of recent work. Literary Artists: submit 5 pages of recent work. Performing Artists (Music, Theatre, Comedy, Spoken Word, Dance): submit up to 10 minutes of recent work. *** Note: If your artistic discipline is outside of these parameters, please contact the Program Coordinator to discuss your submission guidelines.
Easy 3 Step Process! Start Today!
Step 1 – Gather all your support material today!
Step 2 – Email email@example.com with your support material. You will be sent a Rental Application.
Step 3 – Upon receipt of completed Rental Application, selected applicants will be invited to interview for a spot in the program.
We will contact all applicants to confirm receipt of messages and attachments.
Applicants will be chosen for interview through a competitive selection process based on Artistic Excellence, Artistic Merit, Personal & Professional Development Plans, and Housing Need. Upon acceptance, applicant will be required to sign a BC Housing Tenancy Agreement and Skwachays Participation Agreement to be considered for a probationary (6) month lease. Upon achieving a successful probationary period, tenants will be considered for additional (6) month leases. Failure to comply with Participation Agreement and responsibilities set out in Tenancy Agreement may result in the tenant becoming disqualified from continued participation and tenancy.
All applicants are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants selected for interview will be contacted. Please, no phone calls or walk-ins.
Openings for 2017 now available. Contact us today!
Skwachàys Lodge Aboriginal Hotel and Gallery (pronounced “skwatch-eyes”) is a unique enterprise created by social housing organization, Vancouver Native Housing Society. The building at 31 West Pender Street in Vancouver’s Chinatown/Gastown area has three entities within the facility. They are: Skwachàys Lodge; the Urban Aboriginal Fair Trade Gallery and Skwachàys Residence. The residence contains 24 studio apartments all occupied by emerging Aboriginal artists who pay a minimal rent to allow them, on a three year tenancy, to develop their personal and professional skills so that they may become ready as artists to move into market housing and develop successful careers.
We are grateful for the support of recent partnerships from the following organizations:
Vancity provides funding support for the Aboriginal B.E.S.T program we offered to Artists in Residence this past October 2016 as well as providing Financial Literacy workshops, “Each One Teach One” and “Each One Grow One” respectively.
Small Business BC provided a generous scholarship to all Artists in Residence to attend their educational seminars.
Spark Joy Studios newly developed partnership with the Artists in Residence program provides artists with individualized tutorials in developing their website and hosting.
East Van Graphics newly developed partnership with the Artists in Residence program provides discounted costs for business card printing.